Monday, August 26, 2019

Freehand Foil Quilling

I digitize a lot of graphics that I get in the public domain and in library archives. I love to be able to print them out at will. And I love to add foil to them. Up until recently I just had to re-color the shiny gold with a gold flat color to get them to print.









If you scan in a graphic that has gold or silver foil on it already, it will show as black most of the time. I just change the color in my graphic program to a flat yellow gold or a light grey so it would print out right then I would just cover it with glitter to get a little bit of a shine. Now I can actually add gold foil to my graphics and this is how I do it with my Foil Quill pens by WeR Memory Keepers.








Go get some white tissue paper at the Dollar Tree. You get a lot for just one dollar. Lay it over your print and sticky tape it (DSST) to a part of the graphic that you are not going to foil so you can move the foil (shiny side up) between the papers around the edges. I DSST'd the center of this one. Trace the parts you want to foil with a pencil or pen. Then just draw the heat tool right on top of the tracing paper where you drew your lines.

The tool is hot enough to set the foil but not hot enough to burn the paper.






Just foil on the lines with the tip you want - fine, medium, thick or calligraphy. You can see where the tool burnishes the tissue but you can lift the edges and check and see how it looks as you go to fill in the places you might have missed.

Don't remove the tissue until you are finished foiling. Just lift your tissue off the graphic and it should be foiled where you want.

So there are two complete sets of pens, one set for machine foiling and one set for hand (freestyle) foiling.

Now that's foiling freestyle! You can foil anything with these pens. This puts another great tool in your arsenal of crafting goodies so you can make anything and make it look professional!


No comments:

Post a Comment