Monday, February 18, 2019

Dapper Dandies

I am enamoured with the little vintage Godey, World of Fashion and LaMode fashion plates from the Lady's magazines from the 1800's. Anna Griffin's paper dolls got me started on tracking these little people down. I not only have a whole collection of my own now but I'm adding to my own growing vintage archives.

There are a bazillion of these out there that are royalty and copyright free so anyone can go get them and clean them up and make their own version. You just have to know how to work with a graphics program like PhotoShop or the GIMP. You can re-color, re-size, pose and re-create them to suit yourself as you please.

I don't make mine into paper dolls but I do clean them up and manipulate the dresses sometimes to make a whole dress where parts are missing or brighten the graphics up a lot, re-draw or recolor them. And I was delighted to find the fashion plates with dapper dandies in them. They are used as a prop to really showcase the ladies fashions in most of the ladies magazines but the men had their fashion style too so there are tons of fashion plates of just mens fashion. So there aren't as many of them as there are the ladies but I managed to find about half a dozen or so but I'm still finding more of them too. The trick to printing them off clean and sharp is to get them in high resolution and remove the background.

I found one that even has a dog! I love them and now I can make my cards with men and women saying snarky things - or sweet things. Can you imagine an anniversary card for someone made of these? Take the cane out of this one's hand and put a rose in it. He could be proposing or saying something sweet. I love them and I'll be making more cards inspired by these fashion plate dapper dandies from the 1800's! NOW IT'S A PARTY!





No comments:

Post a Comment